Watercolour collection

A painting using pigments dissolved in water is called a watercolour. This is also the name of the technique, the usual base for which is white, absorbent paper. In true watercolour painting, white is not used for lighting.

Before the advent of colour photography, watercolour painting was the most common method of recording cultural heritage in colour. The INDOK Centre keeps 264 watercolours (221 individual sheets and 43 in two watercolour blocks), among which three sets stand out for their motifs and large numbers:

  • medieval paintings of church interiors by Matej Sternen (69 paintings),
  • shrines by Dušan Svetlič (64 paintings),
  • the churches of Kočevje by Janko Trošt (30 paintings).

Svetlič and Sternen produced watercolours in the 1920’s and 1930’s by order of the conservator France Stelè, and Trošt undertook the work in 1947 when the topography of Kočevska was recorded with Marijan Zadnikar and Jože Kregar.

The oldest dated watercolour (a coloured drawing of stone details of St. Mauritius’ church in Jurklošter) is from the archives of the Vienna Central Commission for Monument Protection and was painted in 1864 by Hans Petschnig.

The other painters of watercolours in the collection are Aleksandra Ivanc, France (Floris) Oblak, Franjo Golob, Franjo Horvat, Friderik Jerina, G. Stupar, Herbert Kartin, Ivan Šifrer, Janez Mežan, Marijan Marolt, Maksim Gas-pari, Stanko Peruzzi and Zvonimir Juretin.

Brigita Petek